Founding Engineer, Jackpocket
June 2014 - Present
- Stabilized our unit tests and then added full test and deployment automation using CircleCI. With just a git push, our tests would run and if successful would deploy to staging or production.
- Built a payout system that gives users the option of having a win paid to their bank account or debit card using Balanced Payments.
- Built an automatic refund system (Operations app) where if a ticket slip is missed, customer is notified via email and refunded with Jackpocket credits.
Senior Software Developer, 9mmedia
April 2010 - May 2014
- Contributed on FitnessBuilder's iOS 8 only rewrite by taking over and porting Metrics and then rewriting over 50 SQL queries from the old app to CoreData using a whole new database structure.
- Full ownership and redesign of MyFDB a Rails 3.2 app using Rspec, Heroku, Postgres, AWS, Solr and Redis.
- Iterated on several redesigns of MyFDB with strong a focus on images for content, implementing infinite scroll feeds and shifting towards a social app (user profiles, collecting, following, favoriting, sharing, etc.).
- Redesign of MyFDB increased average site duration time to 4 minutes (lowest average was 40 seconds). The bounce rate decreased by 40%.
- Optimized MyFDB pages that had 90+ queries down to about 5 with rendering times from 3 seconds down to 400ms without caching. With further database updates an average 500ms app server response time (NewRelic) was cut in half.
- Regularly kept MyFDB's gems up to date, refactored and removed unnecessary/legacy code. Cut the time to run specs in half by stubbing DragonFly with the option of enabling it where needed.
- Created critical onboarding flow with Pro profile request system and steps to teach users about site features (e.g. following, collecting).
- Increased conversion rates in FitnessBuilder by syncing user and transaction data to Salesforce (background jobs) that in turn fed into ActOn where we created plan specific campaigns to email users throughout their trial.
- Redesign of 9mmedia using Rails and Refinery. Later moved from SQLite to Postgres and deployed on Heroku.
- Planned, managed, and developed the FitnessBuilder web app using Flex 4.5, Swiz, Ruby on Rails and RubyAMF.
- Developed a Flex 4 and Swiz admin for the FitnessClass iPad app.
- Created and maintained four in house Flex libraries for custom MX and Spark components, reusing RPC and general utilities.
Web Developer, Arc90
September 2007 - April 2010
- Developed several Flex modules using PureMVC for a RESTful insurance policy origination platform that allowed multi-tasking for underwriters to manage the policy lifecycle and agents to track requests/changes.
- Established a deep understanding of the Flex framework and component lifecycle to create custom components that made up an in house library.
- Rewrote the Readability bookmarklet content parser to search based on positive and negative keywords in id and class attributes and to use a scoring system to determine content container from multiple results.
- Handled frequent changes and enhancements for multiple modular projects simultaneously delivering on time in an agile environment.
- Developed an insurance policy scoring analysis management app using Flex, PureMVC, ColdFusion and AMF that dynamically created reports in Excel with data retrieved from SQL Server stored procedures.
- Developed Question Picker for McGraw Hill, a cross browser, single page AJAX app with jQuery that used nested categories, dynamic modal windows, and complex addition/removal of questions.
Web Developer, AboutWeb
October 2005 - September 2007
- Developed a custom CMS with template, document and element versioning as a ColdFusion 8, object oriented Model Glue application for NIH.
- Redesigned company site from ground up using web standards.
- Developed class management tool for Intelliworks as part of their ColdFusion based CRM application for Higher Education.
- Enhanced an object oriented, Model Glue, ColdFusion, Flash form based application for AAO where doctors could submit research papers and have their peers review them.
Web Developer, Katrina Lost
September 2005 - December 2005
Developed a ColdFusion app for a volunteer project to aid the victims of Hurricane Katrina where users submitted information on missing relatives, contact info, and available housing. Built over a weekend. On launch day we had 179,000 visitors and used 10GB of bandwidth in 10 days!
Webmaster, Environmental Support Solutions
June 2005 - October 2005
Redesigned ESS and ESS Expo with web standards (source ordering, no tables for layout) and re-architected ASP back-ends providing better SEO, code reusability, and overall maintenance ease resulting in fewer and lighter files.
Web Developer, Bethesda Hosting
March 2005 - July 2005
Developed new features for Fusebox 3 apps. Learned ASP on the job.
Web Intern, World Resources Institute
April 2004 - April 2005
Replaced the site's tree navigation with a cross browser, drop down menu. Worked on various ColdFusion based tools.
Skills and Technologies
Frameworks: Rails, jQuery, Ember.js, Realm, Flex, Swiz, Backbone.js, Sinatra, PureMVC, Framework One, Model-Glue
Tools: Coda 2, Git, Heroku, Postgres, Xcode, Node, Photoshop, Flash Builder, SVN, MySQL, SQL Server, CouchDB
A.A.S., Web Programming Degree - 3.57 GPA (2001-2005)
Downloads are listed for each presentation with descriptions.
CSS: Cosmetic Content Without The Bloat
- 9mmedia Tech Talk Meetup on March 21st, 2013
Using Flex Frameworks to Build Data Driven Applications
- Adobe MAX 2009 on October 6th and 7th, 2009 (Presented on PureMVC)
Building Maintainable Applications with PureMVC
- FITC Toronto in April 2010
- FITC Amsterdam on February 23rd, 2010
- New York Flex User Group on November 19th, 2009
Building ColdFusion Applications with Framework One
- New York ColdFusion User Group on January 12th, 2010
Digging Through the Flex Framework
- FITC Unconference at Adobe MAX 2009 on October 5th, 2009
- CFUnited 2009 on August 13th, 2009
- New York Flex User Group on July 26th, 2009
- CFUnited Express New York on April 20th, 2009
Awards, Certifications, and Honors
- Flex 2: Data & Communications (Adobe Certified Training)
- Flex 2: Developing Rich Client Applications (Adobe Certified Training)
- Hispanic Student Achievement Award (Montgomery College)
- Computer Applications Academic Achievement Award (Montgomery College)
- Best Final Project Award in Advanced ColdFusion (Montgomery College)
- Best Final Project Award in ColdFusion (Montgomery College)